Friday 16 November 2012

Romas exchange to Augštaitijos nacionalinis parkas and Žagares regioninis parkas.

I spent nice exchange time in 2 parks of Lithuania and I visited my EVS colleagues there. For Augštaitja National park host was Vincent from France and for Žagare park Pierre, also from France. I choose this parks because I haven't been there before.

In Augštaitija at first day I see a bit of Ignalina city, and saw a bit how Vincents colleagues prepare new exhibition in Ignalinas culture center. Later we went to Palūše (Palūšė) and we he walked a  bit around the Lūšiai lake. Next days I explore a bit of his park directorate life – their new information center and a bit from office. Vincent showed me his drawings and projects what he is working for in the park. But I didn't had a chance to introduce with his colleagues, so that is a bit sad for me that some other parks are too busy for that. I got the chance to see also their new building for conference rooms and exhibition halls and old wooden church near office.
Third day I was more lucky with the weather so I saw  more tourist sites around the lake. We took bicycle and we went for 35 km trip. I saw villages in the forest with old traditional houses, we bought some snacks in to the „auto-shop” (it is small bus which delivers food to places where is no shops), also went to bee keeping museum (Senovinės bitininkystės muziejus) in the middle of the forest. I was touched by quietness there and meditative atmosphere. In my tour around the lake I saw also watermill, castle and sacred hills, peninsula with small authentic villages, villages with empty houses because people are leaving countryside every year more and more, traditional farmers, lots of nice autumn sights. In evening with Vincent we discuss ecological problems, culture differences and similarities, made some traditional Latvian and French food, met locals and tourists in the hostel he lives in. I think Vincent made a good trip for me and thanks to him for that. Without him I wouldn't see all the nice places in Augštaitija. 

Another part of my exchange I spent in the Žagare (Žagarė). This was also very interesting experience. Žagare is much bigger than Palūše, it is historical town on border with Latvia. Location and mixed history, different ethnic groups (Latvians, Lithuanians and Jews), also religions, made this place very special in the Lithuania. I can see that Žagare has lost its shiny side of the medal, but still they have so much left from the past, just need to develop it and once again this place could attract different types of tourists. Because it is nice to walk in this very old town with small houses and see how history was changing its direction. I was also lucky to hear that some people speak both languages - Lithuanian and Latvian in the same time.
I have spent most of the time with Pierre in Žagare regional park and he show me his office in the old manor, located in the park, also told me about the parks daily work and his duties. He show around all the town and took me to the most interesting nature objects. As Pierre is landscape designer he show me his work - he designed park for cherry trees. Now it is possible to see the park with small cherry trees but in the future there will be beautiful garden.  
I got to know that in Žagare are many horse stables and many farmers keep horses and we went for a walk to see horses in one farm. In evening we watch interesting movie about Žagare and its forests, full of animals and wild life. For more information I was lucky to see big photo book with pictures from old times in Žagare and that was one of the most interesting photo book for me I ever seen. This place left a good impression to me because of its location and history, and I am sure this place deserves some more attention from visitors and travelers in the future. Thanks to Pierre who is also one of the volunteers who works for the park from all of his heart!

Some pictures from my trip to Žagare:






More information:
http://www.anp.lt/
http://www.muziejai.lt/ignalina/bitininkystes_muziejus.htm
http://zagaresrp.am.lt/VI/index.php
http://www.zagare.lt/

No comments:

Post a Comment